Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Day 11 - Little Miss Temple


- Oh no, I said out loud today when I saw the headline in one of the papers; Shirley Temple has passed away ! I was instantly flooded by memories that took me back to a time where Sunday-afternoon movies were the highlight of the week....over 30 years ago (eek ?!)

I was almost still a child myself when I discovered Shirley Temple; it seemed there were weekly Shirley Temple-movies on TV in Finland around that time, and I was instantly smitten. This little girl, perhaps the first child movie star of her magnitude, was so cute and adorable, and so very talented I couldn't believe it. Of course by the time I learned about her she was already in her 50's and her movies were actually from the 1930's, but that didn't diminish my admiration for her. I'm thinking there was perhaps a bit of a Shirley-boom going around that time in Finland anyway - I remember often finding stories of her in the magazines...I even had a paper doll of her with clothes and stuff (I found the below picture online and it actually is the one that I had - how crazy !!)

 
Even though she was a very popular child star, her movie career faded away once she started getting older; not an unheard phenomena amongst other child stars. After starring in over 40 movies she retired from acting around her 20's and moved on to politics. creating a successful career - I believe she was the U.S. Ambassador for at least Ghana and Czechoslovakia at some point. She also married twice and had two children. She died at the age of 85, apparently of natural causes.

What a life ! Rest in peace.






Day 11 Exercise: none

8 comments:

  1. Darn. Mun pitää lakata lukemasta blogeja. Oon liian vaikutusaltis. Nytkin oli hetipakko katsoa The little Princess ja parkua samalla silmät punaisiksi.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ounouuuuu :) Muistan myös sen leffan, sniff. Täytyykin viettää Shirley Temple-viikonloppu ja varata nessuja !

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, what a life she lived. Fully. Sweetly. To her memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed ! I just learned yesterday that she was also working with cancer charities. Amazing lady.

      Delete
  3. I used to love her Heidi movies! And she is forever the real Annie.. I need to watch these movies with my girls. It'll be sad now that I know she's passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your girls will love those movies - I think Shirley Temple movies are timeless and will probably always appeal to children and adults worldwide. She was adorable and so natural.
      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  4. Minun lapsuuden idoli…Aloitin myös steppauksenkin Shirleyn innoittamana ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eikä, osaat stepata ? Hienoa !
      Mulla on myös ihania muistoja noihin leffoihin perustuen, olin ihan ykkösfani myös.

      Delete

Comments are more than welcome - kommentit tervetulleita :)